We all know how important it is to recycle, reduce plastic, buy locally-grown products when possible and be mindful of our energy usage. Well, another way we can reduce our carbon footprint is through sustainable travel. Taking the train is the most environmentally-friendly way to travel (apart from walking or cycling of course) but another way you can travel sustainability is by staying in eco hotels.
Luckily for us, recent years have seen hotels across the UK switch to eco-friendly practices. We’ve picked out the top sustainable hotels in the UK – each has something a little extra special about them. They are all extremely mindful of their impact on the environment but don’t sacrifice any luxury or comfort.
Read on to discover the UK’s best eco hotels. Travel sustainably and take advantage of great prices when you book an Advance Ticket with CrossCountry.
Scarlet Hotel, Cornwall
Not only is the Scarlet Hotel in Cornwall one of the most romantic hotels in the UK, it’s also one of the most sustainable. With a ’Cherish the World’ ethos, the Scarlet strives to redefine what luxury can be and promises a richness of experience without over-consumption. A decadent adult-only hotel, the Scarlet offers light airy spaces designed to connect guests to the outdoors. From meadow gardens and cliff top hot tubs, to an Ayervedic inspired spa and yoga classes, this eco-friendly hotel is one of a kind.
- Grown-ups only! Children aren’t allowed at the Scarlet Hotel, so you’re guaranteed a quiet, relaxing stay.
- Rooms guarantee a beach or sea view and feature free standing baths, walk-in showers, private gardens, terraces or private rooftop sitting rooms.
- Gaze out over Mawgan Porth beach to the Atlantic Ocean from Scarlet Restaurant, while you dine on fresh seasonal dishes and watch the world go by.
- Slather yourself in rich mineral mud in the rhassoul experience, try your hand at massage guided by an expert therapist, join one of the complimentary spa classes, stargaze from the cliff top hot tub or relax in a cocoon-like pod hanging from the ceiling in the relaxation room.
Getting there: The nearest train station is Newquay. From here the Scarlet Hotel is around 30 minutes on a bus or 15 by taxi. The hotel offers a green discount to any guests who travel via foot, bike, rail or coach.
The Green House Hotel, Bournemouth
Serious about luxury and passionate about sustainability, the Green House Hotel in Bournemouth is one of the world’s top eco-hotels. Located in a beautifully restored 32-room Grade II Victorian villa in the heart of Bournemouth, everything about the hotel is green – from its sustainable furniture and wallpaper to eco paint and vegetable ink. Even the company car runs on used cooking oil from the kitchen!
Staying in town for a while? Read our blog post on the best things to do in Bournemouth.
- Luxury boutique eco-hotel in the heart of Bournemouth, minutes from the town’s beaches, restaurants and main events venues.
- Perfect location for exploration - perfectly nestled between Dorset’s finest blue-flag golden beaches and the ancient mysteries of the New Forest, it will be a wholesome holiday.
- Handmade eco-beds, piled high with organic bed linen, guarantee restful and productive sleep.
- Menus at Arbor Restaurant change seasonally to ensure the best local and sustainable food, whenever you visit.
Getting there: The Green House Hotel is a 15-minute walk from Bournemouth Station. Alternatively, you can jump on a bus and arrive in under 10 minutes.
Treetops Hotel, Devon
Live out your childhood treehouse fantasy when you spend a sustainable stay at the Treetops Hotel in Devon. Found in a wonderful 250-year-old oak tree in the grounds of the Fox and Hounds Country Hotel in Devon, a stay here is a real return to nature. Equipped with numerous lavish comforts, including a freestanding copper bathtub and a large terrace overlooking a fishing lake, it’s a stunning location for a relaxing retreat.
- A fully equipped 2-floor treehouse including king size master bedroom, with a separate children’s bunk room, an en-suite bathroom and fully fitted kitchen with dishwasher and breakfast bar.
- Cosy lounge with wood burner and French doors to a large terrace overlooking the fishing lake, complete with an outdoor heater – whatever the weather, the treehouse is an idyllic place to relax and enjoy your surroundings. BBQ areas serve well in the summer months.
- Outdoor life - walk in the forest, or go fishing or shooting, it’s ideal for romantic escapes and family adventures. Other activities include horse riding, quad biking, golfing, and exploring nearby beaches and gardens.
- The Fox & Hounds Restaurant serves amazing dishes, should you want a night off from cooking.
Getting there: A little more remote than the others, from Exeter St David’s, you will need to jump on another train to Eggesford train station, a 5-minute walk away from the hotel.
Whichever eco hotel tickles your fancy, make sure you take advantage of great savings with CrossCountry Advance train tickets