*YOUR ATTENTION IS DRAWN PARTICULARLY TO PARAGRAPH 8 BELOW WHICH SETS OUT LIABILITY TO YOU*
In these Terms and Conditions, the following words have the following meanings:
"Information" means all material delivered by CrossCountry through the Hotspot.
"User" or “you” means the Hotspot end-user.
"Terms and Conditions" means these terms and conditions relating to the Hotspot.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- You must read and accept these Terms and Conditions before you access and use the Wi-Fi service (hereafter referred to as the "Hotspot"). By: (i) accessing and using the Hotspot; or (ii) purchasing a voucher for access and/or use of the Hotspot (a “Hotspot Voucher”) you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions set out below. If you do not wish to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, please do not use the Hotspot or purchase a Hotspot Voucher.
- If you have any questions about these Terms and Conditions, please contact CrossCountry’s Wi-Fi service desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0330 088 1270 before continuing (lines manned 05.00 to 02.00 each day, calls will be charged at local rate from a BT landline. Calls from other operators and mobiles may vary and may cost more).
- If you are aged under 18, before you access and use the Hotspot, please ensure that you have your parent/guardian's consent and ensure that they and you have read and agree to these Terms and Conditions. If you intend to use someone else's credit or debit card for purchasing a Hotspot Voucher, you should enter their details when registering and they and you agree that they will be deemed to have consented to be bound to these Terms and Conditions and will be a party to these Terms and Conditions.
- INFORMATION ABOUT US
The Hotspot is operated by CrossCountry Trains Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 04402048, whose registered office is at 1 Admiral Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3 3XP, and whose VAT number is 618 557 907 (“CrossCountry”).
- THE HOTSPOT DESCRIPTION
- The Hotspot is a wireless data service using radio frequency to access the Internet. CrossCountry offers the Hotspot for activities such as the active use of e-mail, instant messaging and browsing the Internet. These services may require Users to have accounts with third party service providers. Some information and material (for example software) is supplied to CrossCountry by third parties and CrossCountry offers no guarantees or contractual promises in relation to that information or material. Please be aware that you cannot use the Hotspot for the following reasons (this list is non-exhaustive):
- Watching catch up TV (e.g. BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer etc)
- Downloading very large files
- File sharing (e.g. BitTorrent)
- Video sharing sites (e.g. YouTube)
- THE HOTSPOT
- Although CrossCountry will endeavor to provide a high standard of Wi-Fi service at all times, due to the nature of the services the User acknowledges:-
- that it is technically impossible to provide the Hotspot entirely free of faults and that CrossCountry does not undertake to do so;
- that faults may lead to temporary unavailability of the Hotspot; and
- that the operation of the Hotspot may be adversely affected by conditions and performances outside CrossCountry's control, including transmission, telecommunications links between CrossCountry and Users, between different parts of CrossCountry, and between CrossCountry and other systems and networks.
- USE OF THE HOTSPOT
- If you hold a valid first class ticket for the train journey you are making you may access the Hotspot free of charge (on services which have wi-fi available) and there is no need to purchase a Hotspot Voucher. Access is gained either through the Hotspot portal directly or by obtaining a printed PIN code voucher from the Senior Conductor on board (for journeys on CrossCountry’s 170 train type). You are permitted to access the Hotspot for an unlimited period of time during that train journey, although data restrictions may apply. Printed PIN code vouchers provide 2-hour access and on expiry an additional code can be obtained from a member of CrossCountry’s staff (subject to availability).
- If you hold a valid standard class ticket for the train journey you are making, you may purchase a Hotspot Voucher, subject to these Terms and Conditions. At present you can purchase a Hotspot Voucher directly through the Hotspot service pages, or via a printed Hotspot Voucher from CrossCountry’s service-at-seat (subject to availability). The pre-sale website (available at the following web page: crosscountrytrainswifi.co.uk) allows you to pre-purchase a Hotspot Voucher for your journey at a reduced price in comparison to the equivalent tariff bought on board the train.
- You may purchase a Hotspot Voucher for a specific period of time for use of the Hotspot by you. We offer two types of Hotspot Vouchers – elapsed time (where the length of time of access is measured from when you first log-on to the Hotspot and will expire at the end of the allocated time regardless of whether you are browsing the Internet or not) and minute bundles (where you can start and stop your Internet access at any time within a specified time limit, provided that the total access time shall not exceed the total minutes which have been purchased. For the purposes of the previous sentence, the specified time limits are as follows: (i) 30 days for 12-Hour tariff this is; and (ii) 365 days for the 30-Hour and 100-Hour tariffs).
- Once purchased, Hotspot Vouchers can be used on any service operated by CrossCountry. The Hotspot Vouchers are not train, journey or route specific (though can only be used on CrossCountry trains). Inactivated Hotspot Vouchers are valid for 1 year after date of purchase.
- The User undertakes:-
- not to use the Hotspot for any unlawful purpose;
- that it shall not make any use of the Hotspot such that the whole or part of the Hotspot is interrupted, damaged, rendered less efficient, or the effectiveness or functionality of the Hotspot is in any way impaired;
- not to use the Hotspot for the transmission or posting of any computer viruses or any material which is defamatory, offensive or of an obscene or menacing character or in such a way as to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- not to use the Hotspot in a manner which constitutes a violation or infringement of the rights of any person, firm or company (including rights of copyright or confidentiality);
- that it shall not use the Hotspot to transmit any material for the purposes of publicity, promotion and/or advertising without the prior written consent of CrossCountry unless such transmission has been specifically requested by another User of the Hotspot;
- that in the event that it has any right, claim or action against any other User arising out of the use of the Hotspot then it shall pursue such right, claim or action independently of, and without recourse to, CrossCountry; and
- that CrossCountry may block access to certain websites by you on the Hotspot, including for example certain high bandwidth websites, in order to share bandwidth more amongst its User group.
- The User will indemnify and defend CrossCountry against all claims, liability, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, arising out of a breach of these Terms and Conditions or any use of the Hotspot by the User. The User acknowledges that CrossCountry has no control over the nature or content of information or programs transmitted or received by the User using the Hotspot and that CrossCountry does not examine in any way the use to which the User puts the Hotspot. The User agrees to fully indemnify CrossCountry against any claims or legal proceedings arising in connection with User's use of the Hotspot which are brought or threatened against CrossCountry by any other person.
- Your right to use the Hotspot is personal to you and you agree not to register on behalf of any other person, firm or company or to allow any other such person to use your log-in details to use the Hotspot. You must keep your log-in details confidential and not share them with any other person.
- AVAILABILITY OF THE HOTSPOT
- The Hotspot service is only available on selected train services provided by CrossCountry.
- Hotspot services are not available on all of CrossCountry’s train services. Specifically, Hotspot services are not available on CrossCountry services operated by Turbostar trains, which operate direct services between Birmingham New Street and Leicester / Cambridge / Stansted Airport, and direct services between Cardiff and Nottingham via Birmingham New Street and Derby. You can check whether Hotspot services are available on the CrossCountry train service you are intending to travel on by visiting the main CrossCountry website and referring to CrossCountry timetable publications. You can also view on a version of CrossCountry’s route map showing where Hotspot services are available.
- Please note that it is the User’s responsibility to ensure that the train they intend to travel on has Hotspot services available on board.
- OUR LIABILITY TO YOU
- You may have other rights granted to you by law which are not set out in these Terms and Conditions and these Terms and Conditions do not override those rights unless permitted by law.
- For further information about your legal rights (including your consumer rights) we suggest that you contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.
- Please take care of your wireless device. CrossCountry accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to a User’s wireless device.
- The headings in this paragraph 8 below make clear which parts of this paragraph 8 apply to you, depending on the circumstances in which you are using the Hotspot.
The following terms apply to all Hotspot users (both personal and commercial users):
- CrossCountry does not, and cannot, guarantee that the Hotspot website will be compatible with any or all hardware and software that you may use to try to connect to the internet via the Hotspot. CrossCountry does not, and cannot, guarantee that the Hotspot, or your use of it, will be available at all times or at any specific times or that it will be error-free. CrossCountry reserves the right to modify or suspend access to the Hotspot at any time (acting reasonably) where it is necessary to do so.
- CrossCountry is, and remains, legally responsible to you at all times, regardless of any wording to the contrary in these Terms and Conditions, for any:
- death or personal injury arising from CrossCountry’s failure to take reasonable skill and care;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any matters which it would be illegal for CrossCountry to exclude or limit its liability to you.
- If CrossCountry fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions, it is responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of its breach of the Terms and Conditions or CrossCountry’s negligence, but CrossCountry is not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if they were an obvious consequence of CrossCountry’s breach or if they were contemplated by you and CrossCountry at the time you registered or logged in to use the Hotspot.
- CrossCountry is not responsible to you for losses which you suffer due to any event beyond CrossCountry’s reasonable control.
- CrossCountry endeavours to provide a high standard of wi-fi service at all times, however, due to the nature of the service, faults and technical difficulties and/or loss of signal may lead to temporary unavailability of the Hotspot and the operation of the Hotspot may be adversely affected by conditions and performance outside CrossCountry’s control including but not limited to transmission, communication links between CrossCountry and you and between the networks and services provided by CrossCountry’s suppliers and the mobile Internet network provider.
- The Internet and wi-fi connections to the Internet are not secure networks or a secure means of accessing the network. CrossCountry cannot guarantee the security or privacy of the Hotspot, the device you use to access the Hotspot or any information or communications to/from the Hotspot.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you protect your own data and/or software against viruses, hacking or other third party intrusions. CrossCountry is not responsible to you for losses which you suffer due to your failure to appropriately and adequately protect your device from contamination, hacking or third parties or from your failure to back-up the content of your device.
- CrossCountry is not responsible for the content on the Internet including information contained in websites or any third party information provided through the Hotspot and will not be liable to you for any losses you suffer as a result of using third party websites.
The following terms of this paragraph 8 set out below only apply if you are using the Hotspot for business or commercial purposes and to the extent you use the Hotspot for business or commercial purposes:
- The Hotspot is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis and CrossCountry makes no warranties or representations whether express or implied in relation to the Information, including implied warranties or conditions of completeness, accuracy, satisfactory quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
- Except as set out above in this paragraph 8, CrossCountry is not liable to you in contract, tort, negligence, and statutory duty or otherwise for any indirect or consequential loss or damage whatsoever or for any direct or indirect losses arising from or in connection with the Hotspot or these Terms and Conditions in so far as they relate to:
- loss of business, profits or revenue;
- loss of or damage to goodwill;
- loss of savings;
- loss of use;
- business interruption; or
- loss or corruption of any data or information (save to the extent we are the data controller of such data and it is personal data (all as defined under the Data Protection Act 1998)).
- In standard accommodation, purchasing a Hotspot Voucher and receiving an access code allows you to use the Hotspot for your personal use only and you agree not to register on behalf of any other person or entity. In purchasing a Hotspot Voucher we will ask you to supply personal details, and it is your responsibility to ensure they are correct. You are responsible for keeping your details confidential. You should not permit other people to use your personal details and access codes and you are responsible for preventing any unauthorised use. If you discover you have made a mistake with your personal details after you have submitted them to CrossCountry, please contact the WiFi service desk by emailing email@example.com telephoning on 0330 088 1270 immediately so the mistake can be rectified as soon as possible (lines manned 05.00 to 02.00 each day, calls will be charged at local rate from a BT landline. Calls from other operators and mobiles may vary and may cost more).
- You should contact CrossCountry as soon as possible if you believe that anyone has obtained your personal details and / or access codes without your permission or if you become aware of any other breach of security on the Hotspot.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The User acknowledges that all copyright, trade marks and all other intellectual property rights in the Hotspot shall remain vested in CrossCountry or its licensor.
- SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION
CrossCountry shall have the right to immediately terminate your use and access to the Hotspot and/or suspend your ability to use or access the Hotspot, if CrossCountry (acting reasonably) believes you have committed or are likely to commit a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- USER DATA
- CrossCountry cannot guarantee the security or privacy of the Hotspot and any information or communication to or from the Hotspot by the User.
- HOTSPOT VOUCHERS - HOW THE CONTRACT IS FORMED BETWEEN YOU AND CROSSCOUNTRY
- CrossCountry’s order process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your order to CrossCountry. Please take the time to read and check your order at each page of the order process.
- After you place an order, you will receive an e-mail from CrossCountry acknowledging that CrossCountry have received and accepted your order (“Dispatch Confirmation”). The contract between you and CrossCountry will only be formed when CrossCountry send you the Dispatch Confirmation (the "Contract").
- If we are unable to supply you with a Hotspot Voucher for any reason, CrossCountry will inform you of this by e-mail and CrossCountry will not process your order. If you have already paid for the Hotspot Voucher, CrossCountry will refund you the full amount as soon as possible.
- WIFI REFUNDS POLICY
- We recognise that on occasions you may not be able to access the Hotspot as intended and on this basis we have in place a Refunds Policy, as set out in this paragraph 14, such policy is subject to any of your additional rights under paragraph 15 below.
- If a User has purchased a Hotspot Voucher using any of CrossCountry’s tariffs, through any of the available purchase channels, and the User does not get the service the User expected, the User may be entitled to claim a replacement pass for future use, or a full refund. A replacement Hotspot Voucher (or, where applicable, a full refund) will only be issued under the following conditions:
- If a Hotspot Voucher is purchased in advance of travel through the pre-sale website (available at the following web page: crosscountrytrainswifi.co.uk), the User must have checked before travelling that the service they were travelling on is operated by CrossCountry;
- User has not been able to access the Hotspot due to CrossCountry's fault (including cancellation of train service and subsequent use of substitute train service by another operator) and has contacted the CrossCountry WiFi service desk by telephone on 0330 088 1270 or by e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org within the active period of the Hotspot Voucher purchased;
- The request for a replacement Hotspot Voucher is made within seven (7) days of the purchase of the original Hotspot Voucher;
- The User has contacted the CrossCountry WiFi service desk by telephone on 0330 088 1270 or by e-mail on email@example.com with details of:
- the type of Hotspot Voucher purchased;
- the date and time of purchase;
- the method of purchase;
- as much detail as possible of the train service on which the use of the Hotspot Voucher was attempted;
- the time at which you experienced the issue; and
- reasons for the claim.
- Claims for a replacement Hotspot Voucher or refund will not be considered if one or more of the following conditions is evident:
- the device on which the User attempted to access the Hotspot was not properly configured or faulty;
- connection speed of Hotspot service is deemed insufficient by the User;
- the User is deemed by CrossCountry not to have followed the Fair Usage Policy;
- the User is known as a persistent claimant of replacement Hotspot Vouchers with no material evidence to support ongoing claims; and / or
- the User does not make the journey for any reason other than as a result of CrossCountry's fault
- Any claims will be verified according to CrossCountry’s Hotspot usage records prior to the issue of any replacement Hotspot Voucher or refund. Should CrossCountry agree to a claim, CrossCountry reserves the right to decide whether a replacement Hotspot Voucher or refund is most appropriate and will be calculated on a pro-rata basis, on the type of problem, the length of time you were logged on and the amount paid for the Hotspot Voucher. Please be aware that inactivated Hotspot Vouchers bought through the pre-sale website (available at the following web page: crosscountrytrainswifi.co.uk) are valid for 1 year after purchase and are not train, journey or route specific. Refunds for Hotspot Vouchers paid for by credit or debit card via the aforementioned pre-sale website will be refunded electronically to the account used to purchase the Hotspot Voucher.
- YOUR CONSUMER RIGHT OF RETURN AND REFUND
- If you are a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel a Contract under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000) during the period set out below in this paragraph 15. This means that during the relevant period if you change your mind or for any other reason you decide you do not want to keep the Hotspot Voucher, you can notify CrossCountry of your decision to cancel the Contract and receive a refund. Advice about your legal right to cancel the Contract under these regulations is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.
- However this cancellation right does not apply once you have redeemed (or otherwise used) the Hotspot Voucher.
- You may cancel the Contract for up to seven (7) days from the date you receive the Dispatch Confirmation (which is when the Contract between you and CrossCountry is formed) provided that at that point in time, the Hotspot Voucher has not yet been used.
- To cancel the Contract, please contact the CrossCountry WiFi service desk via telephone on 0330 088 1270 or by e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org. You may wish to keep a copy of your cancellation notification for your own records. If you send CrossCountry your cancellation notice by e-mail or by post, then your cancellation is effective from the date you sent CrossCountry the e-mail or posted the letter to us. If you call CrossCountry to notify them of your cancellation, then your cancellation is effective from the date you telephone us.
- You will receive a full refund of the price you paid for the Hotspot Voucher. We will process the refund due to you as soon as possible and, in any case, within thirty (30) calendar days of the day on which you gave CrossCountry notice of cancellation as described in paragraph 15.4. If you returned the Hotspot Voucher to CrossCountry because it was faulty or mis-described, please see paragraph 15.6.
- If you have rejected the Hotspot Voucher under this paragraph 15 because it was faulty or mis-described, we will refund the price of a defective Hotspot Voucher in full.
- We will refund you on the credit card or debit card used by you to pay.
- Details of your legal right to cancel and an explanation of how to exercise it are provided in the Dispatch Confirmation.
- As a consumer, you will always have legal rights in relation to a Hotspot Voucher that is faulty or not as described. These legal rights are not affected by the returns policy in this paragraph 15 or these Terms. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office.
- CHANGES TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
CrossCountry reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions from time to time by placing a note of such change in this file. The User's continued use of the Hotspot following notice of such change shall be deemed to be the User's acceptance of any such change. It is the User's responsibility to check this file regularly to determine whether these Terms and Conditions have been changed. If the User does not agree to any change to these Terms and Conditions then the User must immediately stop using the Hotspot.
Each provision of these Terms and Conditions excluding or limiting liability shall be construed separately, applying and surviving even if for any reason one or other of those provisions is held inapplicable or unenforceable in any circumstances and shall remain in force notwithstanding the termination of these Terms and Conditions howsoever occasioned.
- NO WAIVER
If CrossCountry fails to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions, or if it does not enforce its rights against you, or if it delays in doing so, that will not mean that CrossCountry has waived its rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If CrossCountry does waive a default by you, it will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that CrossCountry will automatically waive any later default by you.
- CHOICE OF LAW
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by English law and the parties hereby irrecoverably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. However, if you are a resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- These Terms and Conditions and all communications between CrossCountry and you will be conducted in the English language.
- Any notices CrossCountry sends to you will be sent to the most recent e-mail address or postal address provided to CrossCountry by you.
- CrossCountry will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of its obligations under these Terms and Conditions that is caused by an event outside its control.
- An event outside CrossCountry’s control means any act or event beyond CrossCountry’s reasonable control, including without limitation strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action by third parties, civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war, fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks.
- CrossCountry may transfer its rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions, to another organisation, and CrossCountry will always notify you in writing if this happens, but this will not affect your rights or CrossCountry’s obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions are a contract between you and CrossCountry. Unless you are aged under 18 and are using the Hotspot with the consent of your parents/guardian, neither you nor CrossCountry intend that these Terms and Conditions will be enforceable by anyone except you and CrossCountry whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.
- CONTACT US
If you are not satisfied by the Hotspot service you receive, please contact the Wi-Fi support helpdesk by emailing email@example.com or telephoning on 0330 088 1270. Alternatively, you can contact CrossCountry’s customer relations team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning 03447 369 123.