Avoid booking fees and get tickets for any train journey in Britain with CrossCountry
Choose date & timeClose ✕
You can book up to 90 days in advance.
Looking for dates further in the future?
Train operators can only release tickets for sale up to 90 days in advance.
But don't worry, you don't have to miss out - be the first to hear when tickets are available with our FREE ticket alert.
Going departing after
Train Ticket Types Explained
With different train tickets available, choosing the one that's best for you can sometimes be a little confusing. Whether you're getting the tickets in advance, looking to travel in ultimate comfort, or figuring out the best ticket to help you save, we've got you covered.
Buying a ticket doesn't have to be complicated. With ticket types tailor-made for all kinds of journeys, you can do it knowing you're getting the best ticket available.
The most flexible of tickets available. An Anytime ticket allows passengers to travel no matter what time of the day; it's the perfect option if you're not 100% when you need to travel.
You can book on the day or in advance with Anytime tickets coming in three forms: Anytime Day Single, Anytime Day Return, and Anytime Return. Letting you travel where you want, when you want.
Want cheaper tickets and a better chance of getting a seat? Off-Peak Train tickets could be your answer as you'll avoid busy times in the morning and evening.
Off-peak travel varies by operator, but CrossCountry follows a straightforward approach. If travelling before 09.30 ⁺, or between 15:30 and 18:15 ⁺, you'll likely need an 'Anytime' ticket.
First Class Tickets
Travel in style. With a First Class ticket, enjoy a multitude of perks, including larger seats, extra table space, and complimentary food and drink on most services. You can make use of the quiet atmosphere by taking a nap or getting stuck into some work.
The ultimate way to travel for on-the-go work or an extra comfy journey. Kick back, relax and enjoy; it's well worth the upgrade.
No matter what time of day, or whether you're traveling standard or First class, you can book up to 12 weeks in advance. Advance discounts can be applied across all other ticket types. The earlier you buy, the more you can save.
No matter what time of day, or whether you're travelling Standard or First Class, you'll be able to save with an advance ticket.
Season tickets are made for the commuter and regular journey maker. A season ticket allows unlimited travel between two given destinations, meaning you can save money, travel any time of day, and spend less time queuing for tickets.
You can purchase a season ticket for any duration, from a week to a year. You'll usually save more the longer the ticket duration.
With many living a mixed work and life balance, a full season ticket may be too much of a commitment - well, this ticket is moving with the times.
A Flexi-Season ticket could be your answer, providing customers 8 days of travel between two stations in 28 days. A great option if you're only commuting a few days a week.
Get unlimited bus or tram travel when buying your train tickets online by adding a PlusBus ticket. Whether you plan to use the bus at the start or end of your train journey, it's a great way to save a little more. Fantastic for a day out or city break.
Costing only £2 you'll not only be saving money, but you also won't need to stress about getting separate tickets for public transport upon arrival. This ticket is only available across a selection of destinations.
Top tips for finding the best train ticket for you
Now we've covered what tickets are available to choose from, the next decision is to figure out what's best for you. Shopping around for the right ticket doesn't have to be complicated. Here are our tips for getting the best one for you.
- Plan ahead - Getting an advance ticket is one of the most affordable ways of train travel. Tickets are usually available 12 weeks prior to travelling.
- Consider timings - You can shave more money off your ticket cost if you travel outside peak travel times. Sometimes this can't always be avoided, especially if you're commuting.
- Shop around - After you've added your route, dates and other travel details, you'll be provided various options and prices, as shown in the image. It's always best to have a shop around. The CrossCountry website and the mobile app will supply numerous ticket options to meet your needs.
- Travel in comfort - If you've got a long journey or are mobile working, travelling first class can be well worth the upgrade. Who doesn't enjoy extra comfort and complimentary food and drink?
- Regular journeys - If you make frequent journeys like a commute or school run, season tickets are the way to go. Another great way to save, and there's no need to queue for each journey. There are several different season tickets to choose from.
Go digital with a CrossCountry e-Ticket
If you're looking for a more convenient way to travel, explore CrossCountry e-Tickets. It's an alternative to queuing and getting a paper ticket from the station as it's emailed to you directly. All you need to do is show your ticket via your Apple Wallet, display a PDF on your phone, open it in the CrossCountry App, or you can even print it at home. Save yourself the queue at the station.
Benefits of e-Tickets
- Quick and simple! - purchase your ticket and have your e-Ticket e-mailed to you direct
- Print at home or work if you don't have a smartphone
- View or download your e-Ticket from "My Account" at any time
- Better for the environment - choosing an e-Ticket means you don't need any paper!
- Travelling for business? Your train tickets are VAT exempt, and you can print off the PDF attached to your e-mail for your expenses. You can also request an expense receipt when signed into your account
- And more!
To find more digital ticket information, head to the e-Tickets page.
Choose the e-Ticket delivery option when you book on our site or Train Tickets app, and we'll e-mail your e-Ticket directly. Scan the barcode on your e-Ticket at the gate, and if requested by an onboard crew member.
Find your train ticket type on our most popular routes
We offer various types of tickets on most of our trains, so you can benefit from cheaper fares and tickets well before your departure date all over the UK. Just some of our most popular routes are:
- Glasgow to Edinburgh
- Manchester to Birmingham
- Bristol to Cardiff
- Newcastle to Edinburgh
- Leicester to Birmingham
- Leeds to York
Best Beaches in the UK
Discover the most beautiful beaches on the CrossCountry network.Find Out More
The Best Indoor Ski Slopes in the UK
Whether you’re a regular at the alps or dipping your toes into the water for the first time, these are the best indoor ski slopes in the UK. Visit CrossCountry.Find Out More
The Best Nature Reserves in the UK
The UK is teeming with wildlife. From bogs to beaches, Britain’s natural habitats are home to tens of thousands of different species, most of which can be found within the country’s thousands of nature reserves.Find Out More