Disabled Persons Railcard
Save 1/3 on most rail fares with a Disabled Persons Railcard
Choose date & timeClose ✕
You can book up to 90 days in advance.
Looking for dates further in the future?
Train operators can only release tickets for sale up to 90 days in advance.
But don't worry, you don't have to miss out - be the first to hear when tickets are available with our FREE ticket alert.
Going departing after
What is the Disabled Persons Railcard?
If you have a disability that makes it difficult to travel by train, you could enjoy savings of up to 1/3 on most of your train tickets. If travelling with an adult family member, carer or friend, they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare. Browse our destinations to plan your next outing.
Keep reading to discover how to order your Disabled Persons Railcard, how much one costs and other benefits/restrictions on its use. If you need assistance when travelling by train, we’re here to help. Visit our Travel Assistance page to book Passenger Assist online.
Who is it for?
The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult.
You will qualify if you:
- receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
- receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at either:
- the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or
- the higher or middle rate for the care component
- have a visual impairment
- have a hearing impairment
- have epilepsy
- receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
- receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
- buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme
How much is a Disabled Persons Railcard?
- £20 for one year
- £54 for three years
How can I get the Disabled Persons Railcard?
To apply online, make sure you have a scan or photo of your evidence of eligibility that you can upload with your application and your card payment details.
Allow 5 working days for your Railcard to be delivered.
Alternatively, you can download and complete one of the application forms and post it with a copy of your evidence of eligibility and payment to:
PO Box 10776
Please make cheques and postal orders payable to 'Disabled Persons Railcard'
Allow 10 working days for your Railcard to be delivered
Please note, Disabled Persons Railcards are not available to buy at the station.
What happens next?
If you buy a digital Railcard, you'll be sent a code and once you download the Railcard app and upload the card onto your phone, you can start using it straight away. If not they aim to dispatch your Railcard within one working day of you ordering it, but it’s probably best to allow up to five working days for your Railcard to arrive. It’ll be sent out free of charge by First Class post, but if you prefer, you have the option to pay for Special Delivery.
Where and when can I use my Railcard?
There are no time restrictions on the Disabled Persons Railcard, so you can use it to get a discount on tickets at any time of the day.
When buying your train tickets through the CrossCountry mobile app, follow these simple steps to claim your discount.
- Put in your origin and destination as normal
- Click on the drop-down menu on the tab that says '1 adult, no railcards or promotions'
- From here, click on 'Add railcard' followed by 'Select a railcard'
- Scroll down to ‘Disabled Persons Railcard’, select this then click on the 'Done' button and after that, the 'Get times & tickets' prompt
At this stage, you should see the discount applied, and you should be able to follow the booking flow to the checkout page.